CD-ROM recovery software?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Apr 9 00:04:07 MDT 2009

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Wed Apr 8 2009 11:11:54 Brandon Stout wrote:
>> I have an original audio CD that has a crack spreading from the edge.
>> It's finally reached the last track.  Might superglue to hold it
>> together and turtle wax over the scratch work?  Anyone tried that?
>
> I would not put a cracked CD into any drive. That's flying, plastic shards
> waiting to happen. Especially since most drives now are 32x or faster--they
> are spinning very fast. 52x is 10k rpm, 65m/s linear velocity on the outer
> edge. That's a lot of force for a cracked disk to have to withstand.

I recently saw that Mythbusters episode, and my brother has actually had
it happen.  A weakened CD exploded inside his drive, leaving sharp
plastic and aluminum bits all over inside.  I was amazed to see it.  He
said it made a loud bang when it happened.  Nothing actually came out of
the drive, though, and the drive kept functioning fine.  I later cleaned
out the bits.

Shane