Backup scripts

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Wed Apr 8 11:34:19 MDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Richard Murri <rmurri at veracitymail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:03:24 -0600 (MDT)
> "Matthew Walker" <mwalker at kydance.net> wrote:

>>> I took a look at rsnapshot a few years back, but ended up choosing
>>> rdiff-backup instead (for reasons I've since forgotten).  I just
>>> thought I'd throw it out there as another possible solution.
>>
>>I'm a past supporter of rdiff-backup, mainly because it compresses the
>>diffs, so it uses less space. But this comes at a cost: It's a lot
>>more work to recover an old increment than it is with rsnapshot. I'll
>>be setting up a backup system soon, and I've decided to go with
>>rsnapshot this time.
>>

> My personal feelings here are that rdiff-backup is perfect for a workstation,
> rsnapshot for a server or critical environment.

I used rdiff-backup in the past.  I've switched to rsync/hardlink
backups instead for a few reasons:

- Nothing to install -- even Mac OS includes rsync and ssh out of the box.
- I like to be able to view older snapshots without special tools.
- I like to have more frequent recent snapshots, and less frequent
older snapshots.  For example, once a day for a week, once a week for
a month, once a month forever.  I don't think rdiff-backup can do
this.  You can only remove "anything older than X" with
-remove-older-than.

I've explored both rsnapshot and dirvish, but always end up rolling my
own scripts instead.  This is partly because I need some of my hosts
to "push" the backups.  rsnapshot and dirvish are both pull models.

Currently I have numbered archives for daily, weekly, and monthly
snapshots.  Some day I'm going to write a "thinner" so that the
archives behave more like Time Machine instead.

If you haven't already read it, this web page has good info for
rolling your own scripts.
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/