Scanning in docs.

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Apr 7 20:29:29 MDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:04:34PM -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

> Anyway, I was thinking something like this...
>
> HP Scanjet N9120
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15179-15179-64195-15202-3445110-3697393.html
>
> It doesn't have a network only option.  That's what I would like, a
> standalone network scanner that just dumped files to a FTP or SMB
> server and I picked them up and do some OCR on them and then file them
> away.

How many documents are you planning to process a day?

The only interface on that thing is USB. I would suggest having
something like a FIT-PC2
(http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page) as the controller
for it. If I understand the sane docs correctly, you can run the sane
back-end on one machine and the front end on another. That lets people
share it, or you can script it.

Or you could have the scripts drop the things into an
SMB/NFS/AFS/NFS/whatever server on the controller and let other
machines process them from there.

My 7780 will dump across the net to an SMB server, so you should be
able to find a scanner like this one which will do that.