Scanning in docs.

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Apr 7 18:04:34 MDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
> Have you considered outsourcing it? A google search shows a few hits for
> about 10 cents/page. If you figure a typical minimum wage employee could
> scan one page every minute, at $6.55/hour that's $0.11/page. That
> doesn't factor in other non-wage costs of employment it would obviously
> go up. I'm sure they're using some mega automated scanner.

I had not considered it.  The people using the scanner make more then
minimum wage and we'd want to tie it into our daily work flow, so
arranging to get docs scanned would be a pain.  However, I do
appreciate the fresh perspective :)

Anyway, I was thinking something like this...

HP Scanjet N9120
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/15179-15179-64195-15202-3445110-3697393.html

It doesn't have a network only option.  That's what I would like, a
standalone network scanner that just dumped files to a FTP or SMB
server and I picked them up and do some OCR on them and then file them
away.

Regards,
Gabe