Scanning in docs.

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Apr 7 17:07:14 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 15:44 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> PLUG,
>
> I'm looking for a document scanner to make digital copies of cabinets
> and cabinets full of old invoices.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a
> good piece of hardware for this.  Of course, it would be best if it
> worked with Linux, but we are *not* holding our breath.
>
> Also, it would be nice it had software that could read a printout and
> use OCR and save the new document using a given path and filename (or
> whatever).

Have you considered outsourcing it? A google search shows a few hits for
about 10 cents/page. If you figure a typical minimum wage employee could
scan one page every minute, at $6.55/hour that's $0.11/page. That
doesn't factor in other non-wage costs of employment it would obviously
go up. I'm sure they're using some mega automated scanner.

Corey