Rack planning

Matt Nelson matt at frozenatom.com
Sat Apr 4 10:47:48 MDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:24 AM, Miike Lovell <mike at dev-zero.net> wrote:

> On 4/2/2009 1:22 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Pluggers:
>>
>> Does anyone know of software (commercial, Free, or otherwise) that can be
>> used to layout server racks? Think data center. I want software to help me
>> plan out, physically, where my servers and other equipment will reside in
>> their respective racks. Ideally, it would also help me plan cabling needs as
>> well (like how long my cat-5 cables or power cables need to be).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
> Excel?!? I had a co-worker that did the datacenter layout in an excel
> spread sheet where like 4 cells were equivalent to one 2 foot tile in the
> datacenter. And he did it for 4 different cages/colos!! It was one ugly hack
> job. I don't recommend it.
>
> Mike

One thing that is related that we use at my work is:

http://www.nagvis.org/sites/default/files/screenshots/nagvis-1.3-rack.png

Nagvis is really nice if you are using nagios for monitoring.  We use a lot
of Dell and IBM servers so this is what we used to generate our rack
templates:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/pedge/topics/en/config_calculator?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz