Rack planning

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Apr 2 15:27:01 MDT 2009

By the way, my company created a Visio add-in to do the same thing, and
after about 3 racks full of gear, Visio used over 1GB of RAM and ground
to a halt. Needless to say, we aren't Visio experts, and I was only too
happy to have a reason to ditch Visio.

We ended up rolling our own software with Qt, and it rocks.

All you data center monkeys out there: Would this sort of tool be useful
to you? It lets you drag-and-drop equipment into racks, create custom
equipment "stencils", cable stuff together, etc. It can produce lots of
nice reports, like rack elevation documents and cable labels.

--Dave