Mythbuntu Box Upgrade?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Sep 26 17:04:34 MDT 2008

Joshua Lutes wrote:

> I found that downloading the flash file and playing it in VLC removed
> the problems with stuttering video.  I had to download a different
> flash plugin, but I can't remember the name of it.  Perhaps Firefox
> has a problem displaying the videos because it has an inadequate flash
> plugin?  I'll have to look and see what it is that I use.  I tried to
> play the flash using MythBrowser, but it asked me if I wanted to
> download a plugin so that it would work and then, after telling it
> yes, never did.

So it's not that the computer can't handle the video, it's that the
pathway that firefox is using can't. (bad plugin, maybe that it's not
using acceleration, etc.) Also watch the CPU usage in top - see if it's
maxing out when firefox is trying to play it, and how that compares to
VLC playing the downloaded version.

> I'm not sure about the video card, on account of I don't know much.  I
> think this is it, but I included the complete output for lshw as well.
>
>            *-display UNCLAIMED
>                 product: Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
>                 vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
>                 physical id: 0
>                 bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
>                 version: 00
>                 width: 32 bits
>                 clock: 66MHz
>                 capabilities: agp agp-2.0 pm vga_controller cap_list
>                 configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8

Looks like the video card. Not a particularly snazzy card, though it
would seem you've demonstrated that it's up to the task.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach