Mythbuntu Box Upgrade?

Joshua Lutes joshua at lutes.me
Fri Sep 26 14:07:18 MDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 10:49 PM, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:

> I think you should figure out whether your myth is using the pvr-350 to
> help decode video, and find out what video card you have and look at the
> playback settings in myth to see if it's using Xv or what. Then we can
> make an educated guess about what is going on and whether you need more
> cpu to play streaming video.
>
> You might try downloading a streaming video file as others discussed and
> playing it both with mplayer or vlc, and with myth. Mplayer will let you
> play around with Xv etc., though I'm not sure about the pvr-350 decoding
> support.

I found some time last night to dig around a little bit.  (My
roommates were watching the Office elsewhere, so I didn't have to
skivvel for the television.  That helped.)

I found that downloading the flash file and playing it in VLC removed
the problems with stuttering video.  I had to download a different
flash plugin, but I can't remember the name of it.  Perhaps Firefox
has a problem displaying the videos because it has an inadequate flash
plugin?  I'll have to look and see what it is that I use.  I tried to
play the flash using MythBrowser, but it asked me if I wanted to
download a plugin so that it would work and then, after telling it
yes, never did.

Inside of MythFrontend I have these settings for video:
Default Video Player: mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv %s

I think I will try experimenting with using vlc instead of mplayer
internally, because mplayer is playing DVDs without any sound.  Not
that that will really affect the flash playing through FireFox.

I'm not sure about the video card, on account of I don't know much.  I
think this is it, but I included the complete output for lshw as well.

           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
                vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: agp agp-2.0 pm vga_controller cap_list
                configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8

Thanks for the suggestions and helps.

Joshua

lshw:
frankenstein
    product: OptiPlex GX240
    vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
    serial: CGGQM11
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3 smp-1.4 smp
    configuration: administrator_password=enabled boot=normal
chassis=mini-tower cpus=1 power-on_password=enabled
uuid=44454C4C-4700-1047-8051-C3C04F4D3131
  *-core
       product: OptiPlex GX240
       vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
       physical id: 0
     *-firmware
          vendor: Dell Computer Corporation
          physical id: 0
          version: A05 (07/19/2002)
          size: 64KiB
          capacity: 448KiB
          capabilities: isa pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing escd cdboot
bootselect edd int13floppytoshiba int5printscreen int9keyboard
int14serial int17printer acpi usb agp ls120boot biosbootspecification
netboot
     *-cpu
          product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
          vendor: Intel Corp.
          physical id: 400
          bus info: cpu at 0
          version: 15.1.2
          slot: Microprocessor
          size: 1700MHz
          capacity: 3GHz
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 100MHz
          capabilities: boot fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr
pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx
fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm up pebs bts sync_rdtsc
          configuration: id=0
        *-cache:0
             physical id: 700
             size: 8KiB
             capacity: 8KiB
             capabilities: internal write-back data
        *-cache:1
             physical id: 701
             size: 256KiB
             capacity: 256KiB
             capabilities: internal varies unified
     *-memory
          physical id: 1000
          slot: System board or motherboard
          size: 512MiB
          capacity: 1GiB
        *-bank:0
             physical id: 0
             slot: DIMM_A
             size: 512MiB
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 133MHz (7.5ns)
        *-bank:1
             physical id: 1
             slot: DIMM_B
             width: 64 bits
             clock: 133MHz (7.5ns)
     *-pci
          product: 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset Host Bridge
          vendor: Intel Corporation
          physical id: 100
          bus info: pci at 0000:00:00.0
          version: 03
          width: 32 bits
          clock: 33MHz
          configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
        *-pci:0
             product: 82845 845 [Brookdale] Chipset AGP Bridge
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:01.0
             version: 03
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 66MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master
           *-display UNCLAIMED
                product: Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
                vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: agp agp-2.0 pm vga_controller cap_list
                configuration: latency=64 mingnt=8
        *-pci:1
             product: 82801 PCI Bridge
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1e
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1e.0
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pci normal_decode bus_master
           *-network:0
                product: 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless
                vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
                physical id: 9
                bus info: pci at 0000:02:09.0
                logical name: wlan0
                version: 03
                serial: 00:18:e7:0c:a1:a3
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
                configuration: broadcast=yes
driver=ndiswrapper+mrv8335
driverversion=1.52+TRENDnet,08/22/2005,3.2.1.3 ip=192.168.2.4
latency=64 link=yes module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE
802.11g
           *-multimedia
                product: iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder
                vendor: Internext Compression Inc
                physical id: a
                bus info: pci at 0000:02:0a.0
                version: 01
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                configuration: driver=ivtv latency=64 maxlatency=8
mingnt=128 module=ivtv
           *-network:1
                product: 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
                vendor: 3Com Corporation
                physical id: c
                bus info: pci at 0000:02:0c.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 78
                serial: 00:06:5b:c1:f7:35
                size: 10MB/s
                capacity: 100MB/s
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=3c59x duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=10 mingnt=10
module=3c59x multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
        *-isa
             product: 82801BA ISA Bridge (LPC)
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.0
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: isa bus_master
             configuration: latency=0
        *-ide
             product: 82801BA IDE U100 Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.1
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.1
             logical name: scsi0
             logical name: scsi1
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: ide bus_master emulated
             configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0 module=ata_piix
           *-disk
                product: ST340016A
                vendor: Seagate
                physical id: 0
                bus info: scsi at 0:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/sda
                version: 3.75
                serial: 3HS69033
                size: 37GiB (40GB)
                capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=bc57bc57
              *-volume:0
                   vendor: Linux
                   physical id: 1
                   bus info: scsi at 0:0.0.0,1
                   logical name: /dev/sda1
                   logical name: /
                   logical name: /dev/.static/dev
                   version: 1.0
                   serial: 2e4042a2-8928-4df5-aecb-ddeb9e3ad453
                   size: 35GiB
                   capacity: 35GiB
                   capabilities: primary bootable journaled
extended_attributes large_files huge_files recover ext3 ext2
initialized
                   configuration: created=2008-08-02 23:26:42
filesystem=ext3 modified=2008-09-20 09:39:35 mount.fstype=ext3
mount.options=rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered
mounted=2008-09-20 09:39:35 state=mounted
              *-volume:1
                   physical id: 2
                   bus info: scsi at 0:0.0.0,2
                   logical name: /dev/sda2
                   size: 1466MiB
                   capacity: 1466MiB
                   capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
                 *-logicalvolume
                      physical id: 5
                      logical name: /dev/sda5
                      capacity: 1466MiB
                      capabilities: nofs
           *-cdrom
                product: CDRW/DVD SM-308B
                vendor: SAMSUNG
                physical id: 1
                bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/cdrom
                logical name: /dev/dvd
                logical name: /dev/scd0
                logical name: /dev/sr0
                version: T104
                serial: [SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308BT104D
                capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
                configuration: ansiversion=5 status=open
        *-usb:0
             product: 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.2
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.2
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: uhci bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-serial UNCLAIMED
             product: 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.3
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.3
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             configuration: latency=0
        *-usb:1
             product: 82801BA/BAM USB Controller #1
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.4
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.4
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: uhci bus_master
             configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
        *-multimedia
             product: 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 1f.5
             bus info: pci at 0000:00:1f.5
             version: 12
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: bus_master
             configuration: driver=Intel ICH latency=0 module=snd_intel8x0