Mythbuntu Box Upgrade?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 17:42:12 MDT 2008

Joshua Lutes wrote:
> Hay guys.
>
> I am running Mythbuntu 8.04 on a dell tower I got from a BYU surplus
> sale a year and a half ago.  It uses the PVR-350 and everything is
> pretty pleasing.  The only thing that isn't so great is the streaming
> media from online sources has pretty choppy video.  I suspect it may
> be on account of the computer never being intended to watch online
> video and its being something like six years old.  Maybe.
>
> Anyway, I was hoping for suggestions as to what I might be able to
> upgrade for the hardware in order to improve the performance so that I
> might be able to get rid of the stuttering video problem.  I always
> been told that increasing the RAM is the cheapest and best way to bulk
> up a computer, and I guess I could do that.  Any other ideas?

RAM for older machines is quite expensive now, compared to cheap DDR2
RAM.  Certainly giving your machine 1 GB would be better; maybe someone
on this list has old ram SIMMs they can sell you cheap.

I'm in the market for a new machine (gotta keep up with X-Plane 9...
dual core, 2 GB RAM, lots of video card required now).  I'm torn between
a shuttle case (which is just the right physical size for me) and
something a bit bigger and quieter.  Anyone have recommendations for the
quietest small case/mb combo?