New monitor: Money is no object

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at utahpython.org
Fri Sep 12 23:38:49 MDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>> You can easily fit two 30-inch monitors into $3000.  As for specific
>> brands, we have 3 different brands of 30" here (Apple, Dell, and HP)
>> and I can't really tell any difference.
>
> How are you setup?
>
> Do you drive your dual 30" displays with two video cards? I.e., 4 total DVI
> ports (2 per monitor and 2 per video card).

You could probably get an adapter to do it that way, but all our
monitors work out of the box with a single, dual-link DVI port.  Since
you can find graphics cards now with two dual-link DVI ports, I
imagine that would be the way to go.  (I don't have any first-hand
experience there since we are a laptop-oriented organization, so we're
pretty much stuck with driving a single 30" with whatever card Apple
saw fit to include.)

-Jonathan