New monitor: Money is no object

Garth Hill thaabit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:58:43 MDT 2008

I just bought a Dell 2408WFP after much searching.  My budget was more
limited, but it's a beautiful monitor.  I would suggest making sure you
know what type of panel to get.  You can search for panel type of a
given model here:  http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

Personally I'd suggest avoiding TN panels and look for a PVA/MVA ($$) or
maybe S-IPS ($$$).  I find PVAs to be easier on the eyes and better
color.  The reviews say S-IPS might be even better color though worse
refresh rates.  I would care more if I did design.  I'm saying this all
from memory so I might be somewhat wrong, I just know that my roommate
got the Dell TN panel and I got the PVA panel and I find it /much/
nicer.  PVA panels typically have a 178 degree viewing angle over 160
for TN.  TNs have the best refresh rate, are cheapest, but are otherwise
not quite as nice.

It's sad that /most/ monitors do not list the panel type in the tech
specs.  It's the first thing I look for in a monitor.

The article below has a lot of information about panel types and other
considerations when buying a monitor.  There is a wealth of info there,
but at least scan the bullet lists about pros/cons of panel types:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

- Garth