New monitor: Money is no object

Dennis Muhlestein devel at muhlesteins.com
Thu Sep 11 18:11:18 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:40 PM, William Attwood <wattwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave--
>   He is correct, for the higher resolutions, you're best getting an SLI
> setup or dual SLI setup to use them both very well.

I just barely read the nVidia documentation for SLI on Linux this
week.  SLI is only used for rendering frames fast for games etc.  One
card can render one frame, and then the other card renders the next,
etc.  Or you can have each card render half the frame.  There are a
couple ways to configure it.  For the record though, none of those
methods could handle more than one monitor.  If you started an
application that could use SLI, the 2nd (or 3rd) monitors would be
disabled while SLI was running.

I was playing with a couple nVidia 8600 GTs by the way.  Each of which
can have two monitors.  We have one setup running 3 monitors with 2
cards right now (there is room for a 4th monitor)

On the size subject:
Why have two smaller monitors when you can have two larger monitors? :)

-Dennis