Postfix as a client with SMTP AUTH

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Sep 4 18:00:36 MDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:08:05PM -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Charles Curley
> <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > How can I use Postfix to send mail from my laptop (say) to my ISP,
> > using SMTP AUTH? I have Postfix (postfix-2.5.1-2ubuntu1.1--i386)
> > running on the laptop (Ubuntu 8.04, Hungry Hippo) for local delivery.
>
> http://andrew.jorgensenfamily.us/2007/04/postfix-client-authentication/
> Let me know if my instructions are worthless, I'll amend them.

As it happened, I did get things more or less working last night.

But I did look at your write-up, and checked aspects of your setup
against mine.

relayhost = [mail.isp.com]

I put the main domain name in there, and not in brackets. That way
Postfix does a lookup and gets the MX record, and uses that. That way if
my ISP changes their mail server, it won't break my setup.

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes

Got those two, and the ssl_password set up.

I looked up smtp_tls_security_level in the docs
(http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html), and decided to set it to
"may". So that was a useful hint.

Thanks for the writeup and quick response.

> > For one thing, what packages in addition to postfix itself do I need?
>
> I don't recall if you need an actual sasl package (cyrus?).  I think
> that's only needed when people are authenticating to your server.

Here's what I have installed, and things seem to work.

libsasl2-2-2.1.22.dfsg1-18ubuntu2--i386
libsasl2-modules-2.1.22.dfsg1-18ubuntu2--i386

Cyrus is not installed.

Now on to spam assassin and other delights that are rare.