Postfix as a client with SMTP AUTH

Andrew Jorgensen andrew at jorgensenfamily.us
Thu Sep 4 12:08:05 MDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> How can I use Postfix to send mail from my laptop (say) to my ISP,
> using SMTP AUTH? I have Postfix (postfix-2.5.1-2ubuntu1.1--i386)
> running on the laptop (Ubuntu 8.04, Hungry Hippo) for local delivery.

http://andrew.jorgensenfamily.us/2007/04/postfix-client-authentication/
Let me know if my instructions are worthless, I'll amend them.

> For one thing, what packages in addition to postfix itself do I need?

I don't recall if you need an actual sasl package (cyrus?).  I think
that's only needed when people are authenticating to your server.