Postfix as a client with SMTP AUTH

Charles Curley charlescurley at
Wed Sep 3 18:25:12 MDT 2008

How can I use Postfix to send mail from my laptop (say) to my ISP,
using SMTP AUTH? I have Postfix (postfix-2.5.1-2ubuntu1.1--i386)
running on the laptop (Ubuntu 8.04, Hungry Hippo) for local delivery.

For one thing, what packages in addition to postfix itself do I need?
# See /usr/share/postfix/ for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = dragon
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = dragon.localdomain, dragon, localhost.localdomain, localhost
relayhost = F.Q.D.N:P
mynetworks = [::ffff:]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
default_transport = error
relay_transport = error

# how long to keep message on queue before return as failed.  some
# have 3 days, I have 16 days as I am backup server for some people
# whom go on holiday with their server switched off.

maximal_queue_lifetime = 16d

# max and min time in seconds between retries if connection failed

minimal_backoff_time = 1000s
maximal_backoff_time = 8000s

smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic

# The following options set parameters needed by Postfix to enable
# Cyrus-SASL support for authentication of mail servers.
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

sasl_passwd should be correct, as it is taken from a sendmail setup
that works.

I get really lucid error emails, like the following:

                   The mail system

<charlescurley at>: F.Q.D.N:P

[-- Attachment #2: Delivery report --]
[-- Type: message/delivery-status, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.3K --]

Reporting-MTA: dns; dragon
Arrival-Date: Tue,  2 Sep 2008 21:48:05 -0600 (MDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; charlescurley at
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; F.Q.D.N:P