Full time Job Opening: C, Unix
charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Oct 28 10:00:16 MDT 2008
The team I work in at End Point Corporation (http://www.endpoint.com/)
is looking for a strong self-starter developer with a good Unix
systems programming background to work on the development and
maintenance of software for a variety of projects.
* Strong written and oral communication skills and professionalism.
* Ability to dive into new technologies and quickly come up to speed.
* Strong C & Unix programming experience.
* Solid understanding and experience of full product lifecycle.
* Solid understanding of TCP/IP.
* Familiarity with representative protocols, architectural, and
operational issues in large, distributed systems (e.g., Kerberos,
RDBMS, DNS, LDAP, configuration management, backups, monitoring,
* Experience with at least two of: Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, BSD.
* Knowledge of at least one scripting language (awk, Perl, Python,
* Familiarity with distributed and/or clustered filesystems (NFS, AFS,
CIFS, GFS, NAS, etc.).
* Kernel level knowledge and experience with Unix-based systems.
* Familiarity with RDBMS internals (e.g., DB2, Oracle, Sybase, MySQL,
* Knowledge of Microsoft Windows internals.
Things that will set you apart:
* Strong Solaris administration and/or kernel development (dtrace,
* Strong skills on non-Linux operating systems.
* A passion for analyzing core dumps (especially kernel dumps).
* AFS operational knowledge.
* AFS development experience (e.g., prototypes of projects on the
OpenAFS roadmap would be particularly interesting).
* Strong experience with configuration management systems (cfengine,
bcfg, lcfg, quattor, Puppet, etc).
* Experience in automating virtual environments (e.g., libvirt, VMware
Perl API, etc).
More about the team & our work:
* Not a web development position (see End Point's website,
http://www.endpoint.com/, for those).
* Most of our work is in C (75%).
* Some in Perl and shell (20% -- mostly test scaffolding and
automation, but some CPAN work, too).
* Some work in Ruby (5% currently, but varies depending on projects --
note that this is completely separate from the Ruby on Rails web
development that other teams at End Point do).
* We use other languages occasionally (e.g., we've done a bit of Java
& Python over the past year, but that's less than 1% of the coding
* Projects in AFS, PostgreSQL internals, Ruby internals, Varnish,
Quattor, Puppet, OpenSolaris and various Perl modules on CPAN (and
in various Linux distributions) over the past year.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. Employees work
from home offices, or at our office in Manhattan. Employees in the
United States must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents allowed to
work in the U.S.
Principals only, please.
Please reply off-list.
Charles Curley /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Looking for fine software \ / Respect for open standards
and/or writing? X No HTML/RTF in email
http://www.charlescurley.com / \ No M$ Word docs in email
Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://plug.org/pipermail/plug/attachments/20081028/b96d0685/attachment.bin
More information about the PLUG