moving linux around

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Sat Oct 25 22:47:32 MDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 14:53 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> > Can I take a hard drive that has linux installed on it, and use it on a
> > different mobo, without having to install linux again?
>
> Like Andy said, it should go smoothly. The biggest hangup might be
> finding the root partition. If it doesn't find the root partition at
> boot, you might need to edit your grub or lilo conf, and /etc/fstab,
> from a rescue disk. But if it was on the only (primary) hard drive in
> both machines this will be unnecessary.

I just have to add my own Me Too post here. There really won't be much
of an issue making a move like that unless you've built a custom kernel
and turned off device drivers that are needed for the new system. I
strongly recommend distro-provided kernels. I've moved systems about
like that on at least 4 machines that I can recall right off and the
only issue I had was on a desktop that needed an nvidia driver to get
3D. But it still at least worked with the default nv X driver.

Windows OTOH, one of the machines I moved was dual boot. Windows (it was
98, so I do give it some slack) has been hosed and I just haven't
bothered to fix it. For one I have no idea where my install CD is and
for two, it's a great opportunity to get rid of Windows.

Corey