How to pronounce "Avahi"

Derek Davis derek.davis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 21:58:09 MDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Brian Simons <bpsimons at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 13:53 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
>> How do you pronounce Avahi?
>
> Well, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avahi_(software) the
> software is named after the Wooly Lemur. Avahi  is the name of the genus
> to which the Lemur belongs. It's Latin and most likely follows normal
> Latin rules for pronunciation. My pronunciation vote is for uh-VAH-hee

I don't have any votes for the software, because I have no idea. But
just a point of disagreement. In my experience (several years of high
school latin, so hardly definitive) the v is pronounced as a w in
Latin. So, veni, vidi, vici is pronounced way-knee, weedy,
wiki^h^h^h^h weak-ee. Therefore, following normal (ancient) Latin
rules for pronunciation, it would be ah-WAH-hee. Probably not how the
software is pronounced, but how I think the ancient Romans would have
pronounced it. :)

Derek