moving linux around

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Sat Oct 25 13:38:22 MDT 2008

Thus said Andres Gonzalez on Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:42:01 CDT:

> Can I take a hard drive that has  linux installed on it, and use it on
> a different mobo, without having to install linux again?

Absolutely.  Linux isn't  Windows... The  only thing  you might  need to
reconfigure are  the obvious  things like network  card and  video card.
Other  than that  Linux is  very happy  moving from  one motherboard  to
another.

> I would like to take my current hard  drive out of this P4 box and put
> it on a new mobo that has a dual core processor. Can I do this without
> any issues?

You might  need a  new kernel to  take advantage of  the dual  core, but
other than that it should be  smooth as banana cream pie. You definitely
shouldn't need to reinstall.

Andy
  1:38pm  up  3:00,  1 user,  load average: 1.23, 1.14, 1.05