moving linux around

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Sat Oct 25 13:42:01 MDT 2008

Can I take a hard drive that has linux installed on it, and use it on a
different mobo, without having to install linux again?

I have a fedora 7 box using an Intel P4, single core, processor that I
use for software development. I have to upgrade my software to support
dual core Intel processors, so I have to upgrade to a dual core
mobo/processor. I would like to take my current hard drive out of this
P4 box and put it on a new mobo that has a dual core processor. Can I do
this without any issues?

Looking at the output from dmesg seems to imply that, upon boot up,
there is tons of discovery happening as linux boots up. Consequently, if
my newer mobo uses a different chip set for example, than linux will
still boot properly.

I just do not want to have to go thru a complete re-install if I do not
have to.

Thanks,

-Andre