drive wipe

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Sat Oct 25 11:11:24 MDT 2008

Thus said "Dr. Scott S. Jones" on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:10:57 MDT:

> Yeah, HIPAA data and rules. I plan to shred my drives. and then either
> redeploy in a file server.. or just keep them and let my boys rip them
> apart  and learn  how they  are put  together.. it's  not the  furnace
> melting routine, but  my boys are pretty destructive,  and will render
> them useless.

I highly recommend pulling them apart. There are some high power magnets
in  there  that  will make  your  buys  the  talk  of the  town  on  the
playground! Be  careful though, if you  let them snap together  too much
they will shatter due to the force or you'll end up with pinched skin.

Bend  the platters  and  you can  be  pretty sure  that  nobody will  be
retreiving the  data. Be careful  though because some types  of platters
actually shatter  into thousands of  shards (I  assume its some  kind of
carbon/ceramic or something).

Andy
 11:11am  up 34 min,  1 user,  load average: 1.18, 1.12, 0.99