drive wipe

Brian Beardall brian at rapsure.net
Thu Oct 23 11:25:49 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 07:52 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:58:15PM -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > What does one use to wipe a drive, what application? I have a few that I
> > need to clean up...and overwrite, to protect patient data.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
>
> Want to contest that the above command securely deletes data? See the
> following link, then get back to me: http://16systems.com/zero/index.html

The award money isn't even worth it. The best way would be to have the
FBI or CIA want the data off the disk. They'll spend what ever it takes
to invent the technology to get the data off. After all those two
probably have the best data recovery services this planet has to offer.
I'm not suggesting to do anything illegal to test their services though.

Brian Beardall