drive wipe

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Oct 23 08:40:45 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 07:52 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 11:58:15PM -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > What does one use to wipe a drive, what application? I have a few that I
> > need to clean up...and overwrite, to protect patient data.
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
>
> Want to contest that the above command securely deletes data? See the
> following link, then get back to me: http://16systems.com/zero/index.html

That does prove that it's impossible, merely that it's not worth $500 to
any data recovery companies to try it, which frankly doesn't surprise
me. Data recovery is not cheap. Now I do expect it's a sufficient method
of data destruction considering that nobody wants my data anyway. But
let's not go crazy and say it's the same as melting down the platters.

Corey