rackmount server cases

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:12:38 MDT 2008

Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> I was not aware that there were PCIe risers.
>
> Most of the mobo I have seen have PCIe connectors in the middle of the
> mobo and on the edge they have PCI connectors. My understanding was that
> a riser would only work on the connector at the edge of the mobo. So, I
> thought there was only PCI risers. I guess I should look for a PCIe riser.

This is very odd as every new Dell 1U server I've purchased in the last
1.5 years has had only PCIe connectors and no PCI at all, and they were
all on little riser boards, usually allowing 2 expansion cards, none to
the right and one to the left of the riser.  I haven't seen a 1U server
that had any PCI slots at all in over a year.  So yeah, PCIe riser cards
are very common, at least in brand-name servers.