Phantom Kernel Packages on Ubuntu 08.04/08.10 beta

Richard Esplin richard at esplins.org
Mon Oct 6 11:24:07 MDT 2008

Both Apt and Aptitude read their options from /etc/apt/apt.conf

Be aware that it doesn't appear to accept the "=true" syntax out of the
configuration files. After some experimentation, I found that this syntax
works:

Aptitude::Purge-Unused "1";

I think the other syntax used to work. I'm not sure when it broke.

Richard Esplin

On Monday 06 October 2008 09:18:21 Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 10:02:05AM -0600, Richard Esplin wrote:
> > 'aptitude purge' removes configuration files.
>
> I had my laptop's hard drive die, so I couldn't experiment further for
> a while. However, I just upgraded a machine from HH to II beta, and
> saw the problem again. Hence the late reply.
>
> Thanks, that got rid of the phantom packages. Even after I removed a
> package, running "aptitude purge" got rid of the phantom package
> gracefully.
>
> > Adding '-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true' tells aptitude to get rid of
> > configuration files for packages it automatically removes.
>
> If I want that to work every time, where do I add it?
<snip>