Phantom Kernel Packages on Ubuntu 08.04/08.10 beta

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Oct 6 09:18:21 MDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 10:02:05AM -0600, Richard Esplin wrote:
> 'aptitude purge' removes configuration files.

I had my laptop's hard drive die, so I couldn't experiment further for
a while. However, I just upgraded a machine from HH to II beta, and
saw the problem again. Hence the late reply.

Thanks, that got rid of the phantom packages. Even after I removed a
package, running "aptitude purge" got rid of the phantom package
gracefully.

> Adding '-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true' tells aptitude to get rid of
> configuration files for packages it automatically removes.

If I want that to work every time, where do I add it?