Anyone know of a good web front end for managing KVM virtual machines?

Mike Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 18:10:21 MDT 2008

Chad R Mayfield wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone knows of a good web-based manager to control KVM
> based virtual machines.
>
> I will be redeploying a server of mine shortly with Ubuntu 8.04 Server
> Edition or Ubuntu 8.04 JeOS Edition with the sole purpose of hosting virtual
> machines using KVM.  The server has a nice Core 2 Duo with the vmx (Hardware
> Virtualization) CPU flag and I want to take advantage of KVM's hardware
> virtualization on the CPU.
>
> To make it a bit easier on myself I want a web-based application similar to
> the provided by VMware Server 2.0[1] or even Linode[2] (I know it was built
> in house) to deploy/monitor/control the Virtual Machines since I so not plan
> on running X on the server.  I have searched and searched Google and found
> several of note.  The first would be oVirt[3], which fits the bill
> perfectly, however it is only compiled for FC9 and the other is Proxmox[4]
> which is an entire distrubution based off debian.  Does anyone know of
> another I could look at and evaluate?  I imagine there has to be more that I
> am just missing.
>
> [1] http://www.vmware.com/beta/server/ (Way to bloated to use)
> [2] http://www.linode.com/features.cfm (Very nice but built in-house)
> [3] http://ovirt.org/ (Bullseye, but built for Red Hat (FC9) products)
> [4] http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Thanks for your help,
I just did some checking and it looks like the latest versions/betas of
Enomalism appear to have some support for KVM in addition to the Xen
support. [1]
If that doesn't appeal to you, ConVirt/XenMan is a non-web app that
seems to be okay. [2]
There are some suggestions.

Mike

[1] http://trac.enomalism.com/enomalism/wiki