Anyone know of a good web front end for managing KVM virtual machines?

Chad R Mayfield chad at planetmayfield.com
Fri Oct 3 16:59:47 MDT 2008

I am wondering if anyone knows of a good web-based manager to control KVM
based virtual machines.

I will be redeploying a server of mine shortly with Ubuntu 8.04 Server
Edition or Ubuntu 8.04 JeOS Edition with the sole purpose of hosting virtual
machines using KVM.  The server has a nice Core 2 Duo with the vmx (Hardware
Virtualization) CPU flag and I want to take advantage of KVM's hardware
virtualization on the CPU.

To make it a bit easier on myself I want a web-based application similar to
the provided by VMware Server 2.0[1] or even Linode[2] (I know it was built
in house) to deploy/monitor/control the Virtual Machines since I so not plan
on running X on the server.  I have searched and searched Google and found
several of note.  The first would be oVirt[3], which fits the bill
perfectly, however it is only compiled for FC9 and the other is Proxmox[4]
which is an entire distrubution based off debian.  Does anyone know of
another I could look at and evaluate?  I imagine there has to be more that I
am just missing.

[1] http://www.vmware.com/beta/server/ (Way to bloated to use)
[2] http://www.linode.com/features.cfm (Very nice but built in-house)
[3] http://ovirt.org/ (Bullseye, but built for Red Hat (FC9) products)