Load

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Oct 2 21:29:04 MDT 2008

Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> 2) Is my disk subsystem behaving correctly (use 'iostat -x 10' to find out)?
>
> 3) Do I have enough iops performance in my disk sub system to satisfy demand?
> A good way to test this is using iostat, and also looking at the iowait CPU
> value.

Also note that iostat is not normally installed by default.  You can
find it in the "sysstat" package, which also includes the sar utility.
The sar utility, when installed with the proper cron job, will report
system resource consumption by time.  It's very useful for discovering
what made a server act strangely in the middle of the night.

Shane