Job: Sr. Linux Engineer (FamilySearch.org)

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Nov 28 08:59:42 MST 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 04:50 -0700, Daniel C. wrote:
> I don't see how EO laws are generally discriminatory, no.  They make
> it illegal to discriminate based on a few select criteria, most of
> which a person can't control, others which it would be unreasonable to
> ask a person to change and which don't affect a person's job
> performance.  Can you explain how you find laws which forbid
> discrimination to be discriminatory?

If you don't see how EO is discriminatory, you're living in a dream
world.

Dream world: Company always hires the most qualified candidate.

Real world: Companies large enough to get sued deliberately hire a
certain number of minorities just to be safe. The most qualified
candidate still gets hired, but now the definition of "qualified" has
changed. It's not only about return on investment anymore, like
insurance it's also about not getting struck by lightning.

Don't get me wrong, I thing there was a time and place for positive
discrimination to counter years of negative discrimination. But I think
we're fast approaching the point where it becomes more destructive than
constructive. These days, any company that wants to compete in the
global market would be foolish to reject entire classes of people
without consideration. Sure, some would do it but they'd gradually grow
less competitive and then be eliminated.

Deliberate discrimination is unfair to everyone. Every parent knows that
sometimes a little favoritism is necessary, but taken to excess it just
creates bigger problems than it solves.

For example, I know a girl who received a very prestigious national
scholarship. She is very smart, and incredibly driven. Believe me, she
deserved it; but because her skin isn't white, some jerks just assume
she didn't really earn it. Unfortunately the current reality will always
hang over every recognition given to a minority: "was it real, or was it
pity?"

I also know a small company, the only supplier of a product a big
company wanted. However, because it was owned by white men the big
company wouldn't do business with the small company directly. A third
party had to be found. Their only service? Cashing checks and taking a
cut. Situations like that are ridiculous drag on our economy, but
they're reality.