basic distro/package questions

Andres Gonzalez gonzo at agoralabs.com
Wed Nov 26 14:51:39 MST 2008

Hi,

Recently, I reinstalled Fedora 9, replacing an older Fedora 7
installation. The Fedora 9 came from a CD entitled "Live Media for x86
systems"

This installation seems incomplete to me--at least it does not contain
packages that were standard in my previous Fedora 7 installation.

For example, this Fedora 9 installation does not have any of the
developer documentation, GUI Samba configuration, or man pages for
common C library routines (like gethostbyname() etc.)

I recognize that I can just use yum and get more packages--but I do not
know the names for all of the packages I think I need.

My question is, is there a different Fedora CD (different for "Live
Media??), or a different build that contains everything? What particular
Fedora do I need to install in order to get more of the packages that
are needed for basic software development?

In the "old days" I remember that a Red Hat installation had 2 options,
one for workstation and the other for server. With the server
installation you could pick what you wanted, like developer
documentation for example.

Thanks,

-Andres