Linux consulting company

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Nov 25 07:20:54 MST 2008

Daniel wrote:
> There is a problem with one of our servers.  Files are reverting back
> to old versions.  Database records are being deleted or changed.  We
> don't know why this is and can't find enough logs for this.  I have
> been charged with contacting 5 companies for consulting.  Some of the
> qualifications are must be certified (not certifiable) ie RHCE or
> Ubuntu certified.  Must be a company with a good track record, at
> least two references.  We want this company (and it can't be Joe Guru
> down the street) to diagnose the problem and help verify our plan for
> the future.  We want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

If you had joe guru on board from the start you may not have had the
problem to begin with. The same goes for a stuffy certified support company.

I recognize the desire to feel safe and secure, and that like seeks like
(sounds like your management is looking for bureaucracy like unto
itself). Nevertheless, I contend there are just as many wise Joe Gurus
that could find and fix your problem and serve you well as there are
certified companies that could, and just as many Joe "Gurus" that
couldn't as there are certified companies that couldn't. Ok, maybe not
exactly a 1:1 correspondence, but give me a little leeway in the face of
statistical variation. ;-)

IMO, the best way to find someone that can help is by word-of-mouth,
which is exactly what you're doing. It's a pity that artificial
restraints are in place, but I applaud you doing the search properly.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach