getting a terminal to STOP showing colors

Joseph Hall joseph at thatworks.com
Tue Nov 11 14:40:02 MST 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Hans Fugal <hans at fugal.net> wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Lee Higginson wrote:
>>> Anyone know how to get a terminal to STOP showing colors.  I can unalias and
>>> change the /etc/DIR_COLORS to get them to stop for most things, but doing a:
>>> service <process> restart,  ALWAYS gives me a pretty green OK. Anyone know
>>> how to get that to stop?
>>
>> Set your terminal type to one that is not color?
>>

> e.g. try TERM=vt100

I wanted to recommend that, but on both my Ubuntu and my RHEL box, it
still showed in color. I tried several others from /etc/termcap, and
while I was able to break plenty of other things, ANSI colors never
seemed to stop working. But I didn't even come close to trying them
all.

--
Joseph
http://blog.josephhall.com/