getting a terminal to STOP showing colors

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 16:34:18 MST 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Lee Higginson <leeard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know how to get a terminal to STOP showing colors.  I can unalias and
> change the /etc/DIR_COLORS to get them to stop for most things, but doing a:
> service <process> restart,  ALWAYS gives me a pretty green OK. Anyone know
> how to get that to stop?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

If you run "ls" in your terminal it shows colors.  If you run "bash -c
ls" you don't see color.  The later command never allocates a PTY.
Does this have something to do with it?

Adjusting TERM or COLORTERM env vars doesn't seem to make a
difference.  Running infocmp in both scenarios above produces
identical output.

I'm curious about the answer to this too.

-Bryan