asterisk

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Tue Nov 4 12:50:27 MST 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 10:42:56 am Hans Fugal wrote:
> I want a better asterisk or asterisk alternative as much as anyone, but
> what level of maturity have these projects reached? For all its foibles
> asterisk has been the best all-around VOIP solution in my experience, so
> far. Have these other projects caught up with asterisk, maintained their
> purity, gathered an enthusiastic and helpful user base, and gone through
> the paces to work out the bugs and security issues?

I would have to say, yes. But just like asterisk, they are on-going projects.

> I'm not saying
> asterisk is perfect, but as it had a considerable head start, in my mind
> the burden of proof that any of these others are actually better is on
> you/them. But I'm willing to be educated...

At this point, I liken asterisk to microsoft. Just because it's ubiquitous,
doesn't mean it is great. While asterisk remains tremendously useful, it has
some serious fundamental problems, as anyone that has had to admin asterisk in
an HA environment can attest. Furthermore, the devs consistently break
compatibility, despite community outrage... starting to sound like devs from
some other projects...?

I encourage you to give them a look-see.