PVR Upgrade

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Mon Nov 3 07:50:23 MST 2008

Mike Lovell wrote:
> Alex Esplin wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Joshua Lutes <joshua at lutes.me> wrote:
>>
>>> Processor:
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116064
>>>
>>> Do they seem like good things to be purchasing?  T
>>>

>> Stay FAR away from Celeron processors.  Bad news.  Even an older P4
>> would be a better buy than any Celeron.
> I agree with staying away from Celeron processors. If you are looking
> for a bang for the buck processor and are set on getting an Intel one,
> I would recommend getting a Pentium Dual-Core or a cheap Core 2. The
> lower end Athlon processors cost roughly the same as the Celeron that
> you listed but will still give better performance.

I second that.
> The bigger recommendation from me would be to avoid PCChips for
> motherboards. I haven't used them in a couple of years so my
> experience might be a little out of date. But they had a bad track
> record of failures and combination of all around badness a few years
> ago. If you want to get a Intel processor, then I would recommend
> getting a motherboard with an Intel Chipset. I have rather good luck
> with ASUS motherboards. This looks like a decent option for a few
> dollars more
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288)

I STRONGLY second that.  It's also been a few years for me, but the last
2 PCChips mobos I had were utter crap.
> As for the case, it looks like a decent option. In my opinion, as long
> as it holds the guts together and doesn't look like butt then it is a
> alright. There are extra features available in them that are just gravy.

Here we diverge a bit.  If you want a quality, quiet PS, I doubt you can
get it for that price.  My recommendation is don't skimp on the PS for a
PVR.  Get a decent rated quiet PS separately (ThermalTake,
PCPower&cooling, etc. with lots of good ratings on newegg).

Also, I thought a VFD was stupid when I bought my htpc case.  Now I
REALLY wish I had one.  If you do music, you can select it without
turning the TV on.  I have a DLP TV, and I don't want to waste my bulb
browsing music lists when I could do that with the remote and a VFD.
But that  may not be an issue for you.

My tuppence,
Barry