PVR Upgrade

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Sun Nov 2 22:57:14 MST 2008

Alex Esplin wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Joshua Lutes <joshua at lutes.me> wrote:
>
>> Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116064
>>
>> Do they seem like good things to be purchasing?  T
>>

> Stay FAR away from Celeron processors.  Bad news.  Even an older P4
> would be a better buy than any Celeron.
I agree with staying away from Celeron processors. If you are looking
for a bang for the buck processor and are set on getting an Intel one, I
would recommend getting a Pentium Dual-Core or a cheap Core 2. The lower
end Athlon processors cost roughly the same as the Celeron that you
listed but will still give better performance.

The bigger recommendation from me would be to avoid PCChips for
motherboards. I haven't used them in a couple of years so my experience
might be a little out of date. But they had a bad track record of
failures and combination of all around badness a few years ago. If you
want to get a Intel processor, then I would recommend getting a
motherboard with an Intel Chipset. I have rather good luck with ASUS
motherboards. This looks like a decent option for a few dollars more
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288)

As for the case, it looks like a decent option. In my opinion, as long
as it holds the guts together and doesn't look like butt then it is a
alright. There are extra features available in them that are just gravy.

So there is my $.02.

Mike