Max swap size?

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Thu May 29 06:02:48 MDT 2008

>> Does a 4 GB swap partition seem excessively large to anyone?  I read
>> the mkswap man page and found the following regarding swap
>> limitations:

> I assume you meant that the swap partitions are on the same disks as
> mdadm devices but not themselves in a RAID configuration.  Recent
> kernels will stripe multiple swap devices internally so there's no
> reason to put swap on RAID.

You assume correctly.  /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 are part of the RAID-1,
while /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2 are swap partitions and not part of the
RAID.

Since nobody here has come out and said it, I'm going to assume that 8
GB of swap isn't likely to be the cause of a random crash on the
system.

Has anybody ever had kernel panics associated with software RAID using
mdadm?  This server can hum along merrily for days, and then suddenly
crash, sometimes more than once a day.  As far as I know, the only
stuff running on it is samba, mysql, litespeed, svnserve, and
obviously mdadm.

I'm glad it isn't actually my job to fix this. :)

Thanks,
Stephen