Which Router is Best for OpenWRT?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew at jorgensenfamily.us
Thu May 29 00:03:05 MDT 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> I know that recently Linksys began selling the WRT54GL, which is supposed to
> be intended for this use - but I thought I read somewhere that the old 2 or
> 2.2 series was better for some reason.

Probably referring to the GSv2 as there is no GLv2 on that table.  The
size of the flash and RAM are the main difference.  Some have more
recent processors as well (but roughly the same speed).  I own a GSv2
running DD-WRT, it's using 12MB RAM at the moment so I suppose 16MB or
more might be wise.  You can get by with less though.

A friend of mine is buying a Motorola WR850G off ebay for fairly cheap
out of China.  Dunno how well it will work for him.

My brother swears by his Microsoft MN-700 w/OpenWRT but hacking that
requires JTAG voodoo.  He's had several others (including linksys) and
likes the MN-700.  It also has a bad capacitor or something (they all
do) so it's not a fun project for most people.