Which Router is Best for OpenWRT?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed May 28 23:32:53 MDT 2008

Kimball Larsen <kimball at kimballlarsen.com> writes:

> So the saga continues...
> I've decided to replace my funky routing with an OpenWRT solution, and
> I think I want to use a WRT54G from Linksys as my router.
> The only question is:  Which one?
> It appears that there are several (a dozen or so) versions of this
> router that work with OpenWRT (and a handful more that don't work with
> it).

I can't speak to the Linksys WRT family, but there are plenty of other
choices that run OpenWRT just fine.  I've been happily running it on a
$60 Buffalo router for approaching a year now.  Unfortunately, the
model I have was apparently discontinued.  Might be worth considering
other options if you're not set on a Linksys WRT.