Looking for a reliable, simple router...

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Tue May 27 14:38:53 MDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Grant Robinson wrote:

> On May 27, 2008, at 10:22 AM, Kimball Larsen wrote:
>
>> At my office, we currently have the following setup:
>>
>> DSL Modem ---> Gigabit Switch ---> RVS4000 (Linksys Router) --->
>> Production Servers
>> 					---------------> WRT54G (Gen 2, I believe) ---> Gigabit Switch
>> ---> Office Network  (all office computers, a storage server, etc.)
>>
>> Both the WRT54G and the RVS4000 have their own public static IP
>> addresses.
> <snip>
>> Here's what I DO need:
>>
>> Rock solid reliability.
>> 1 Wan port to plug into my modem
>> 4+ Gb Lan ports to plug into my servers (this seems to be the
>> sticking point for most routers - many do not have gigabit lan ports)
>> Ability to forward ports by range, specific port number, and TCP/
>> UDP/Both
>> Rackmountable would be a bonus.
>
> Based on the setup you have outlined above, I am confused why you
> would need GB LAN ports.

Mainly because we frequently have traffic to/from office and prod
servers - large files get tossed back and forth daily.  You are
correct that as I have it set up now, the limiting factor is actually
on the WRT54G, which speeds down to 100Mb/s, I believe.  This speed is
tolerable.  However, I would like to have GB speeds throughout.  The
WRT54G is not yet a candidate for replacement, but when I do replace
it, I want to already have gigabit everywhere else on the network so
that our speeds increase to / from prod servers with the change.

The Gigabit switch between the modem and the 2 routers is necessary
because there is only 1 port on the modem, and I need to use multiple
public static IP addresses (one for each router).  I want that to be
GB because (as I mention above) eventually traffic from office to prod
server will need to be gb the whole way.

Thanks!

-- Kimball