let's fix the pronoun problem

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue May 27 09:49:02 MDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 08:18:54AM -0600, Joshua Lutes wrote:

> I'll have to ask her opinion.  Sorry.  My sibling is in a psychology
> of gender class.  I'll have to ask his or her opinion.

Now, now, let's not discriminate against our inanimate friends: make
that "his, her or its opinion."

> PS - The gender of the colleague from the first paragraph is known
> to me.

No, you know your colleague's sex. Nouns and connectors have
gender. People and animals have sex (sometimes with each other). The
difference being that with people and (other?) animals the sex is
inherent. With connectors and nouns, the male/female difference is
assigned for the speaker's convenience.