Fwd: let's fix the pronoun problem

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon May 26 07:29:59 MDT 2008

Merrill Oveson wrote:
> [...]

I'm all for inventing/adopting a new pronoun, but "hey" is just
ridiculous. I don't like "them" either, though I'll grudgingly admit it
has perhaps the best shot. Still, I don't see it accidentally replacing
a real third-person pronoun in even sentences like "the person fell off
their chair", let alone "the linguist fell off their rocker". It would
have to be a very conscious and untasteful effort.

"Thon" sounds ok to my ear. "Everybody learned to watch thon tongue and
use the neutral pronoun." Sounds a little odd or archaic perhaps, but
not ridiculous. Even someone who hasn't heard it would only do a double
take, while still understanding the meaning (try to say the same thing
about "hey"!)

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach