let's fix the pronoun problem

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:20:49 MDT 2008

> Same reason all other such attempts have failed:  It sounds
> ridiculous.  Using the third-person pronouns has wide acceptance and a
> long history, and will soon be accepted even by stuffy prescriptivist
> grammarians.  Here's Cecil Adams' take on it:
> http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_245b.html
>
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:

So the sentence, "A student should put in long hours of study so they can
master the subject."
After years of being docked for this, I should now start to use it?

Here's Cecil Adams' take on it:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_245b.html

Do you have a link to his paper on it?

I'd like to go back to:
"A student should put in long hours of study so he can master the subject."

The "he" meaning he or she.