SSH keeps hanging up...

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Thu May 22 12:01:11 MDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Kimball Larsen
<kimball at kimballlarsen.com> wrote:
> I occasionally have to remotely admin a server at the office from home.
>
> I have it set up to only allow a few hosts access via ssh, and my home
> static IP is on the permitted list. (using hosts.allow, hosts.deny)
>
> I can connect to and log into the server just fine.  The session works great
> as long as I am actively doing something in the shell.  However, if I let it
> sit idle for (it seems) < 1 minute, the session seems to just lock up.

Many consumer routers/DSL modems do not handle long running SSH
connections well.  They sometimes tend to kill the connection
prematurely.  You can experiment with the SSH options TCPKeepAlive,
and ServerAlive in the client to see if you can avoid it.  However
more often than not the problem is caused by the router itself.

--lonnie