What To Back Up?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu May 22 10:06:56 MDT 2008

Kimball Larsen wrote:
> I have heard (and shared) differing opinions about what bits of a linux
> box really should be backed up in order to resurrect a system after
> something like catastrophic hard drive failure.

As much as you can afford to back up. If you need to cut corners,
skipping /usr is your safest bet (but there may be stuff you want to
backup in /usr, depending on your distro). I'd back up everything under
/var except some conscious exceptions, e.g. if /var/log is huge and you
don't care about backing up logs, exclude it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach