SSH keeps hanging up...

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed May 21 23:07:13 MDT 2008

I occasionally have to remotely admin a server at the office from home.

I have it set up to only allow a few hosts access via ssh, and my home
static IP is on the permitted list. (using hosts.allow, hosts.deny)

I can connect to and log into the server just fine.  The session works
great as long as I am actively doing something in the shell.  However,
if I let it sit idle for (it seems) < 1 minute, the session seems to
just lock up.

There is no indication that I've been bumped off the server - nothing
changes in the window.

But no new keystrokes are registered, and the only way I can exit out
of the shell is to close the terminal window.

Where should I be looking to find the cause of this behavior?  How can
I diagnose what is going on here?

A cursory review of /etc/ssh/sshd_config revealed nothing enlightening.

Thanks!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com