What To Back Up?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed May 21 23:00:49 MDT 2008

I have heard (and shared) differing opinions about what bits of a
linux box really should be backed up in order to resurrect a system
after something like catastrophic hard drive failure.

I am curious what the consensus is here.

In particular, I'm running an Ubuntu 7.10 box, on which I'm currently
backing up /etc/, /var/lib/mysql/ (customer databases are important), /
var/www/ (don't want to lose that webroot), and /var/vmail (user mail
would be bad to get hosed)

So, as long as I know what packages I have installed on this box, in
theory I can resurrect the whole thing based on just this stuff, right?

What else do you recommend I backup?

Thanks!

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com