[OT] - Douglas Adams - was Re: Updates on iProvo and Broadweave

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue May 20 12:02:54 MDT 2008

Matthew Walker wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 7:24 pm, Levi Pearson wrote:
>> Steven Alligood <steve at bluehost.com> writes:
>>> Alright, I looked up the quote.  I had missed the leopard part; guess
>>> I should re-read the books more often than every 10-12 years.
>> It's in the movie, too, in case you need a quick fix.
>>
>>                 --Levi
>
> *twitch*
>
> I suppose it's marginally better than /nothing/... but I /hated/ the movie. The BBC
> miniseries was vastly better.

I don't recall the Leopard part being in the movie.  In fact that and
the God proof were sorely lacking I thought.  I think the God proof was
after the credits, though.

I thought the movie was very good.  For one there's no such thing as the
canonical version of Hitchhiker's guide.  The original was the radio
series.  Then Adams did the TV series, changing a number of details and
even adding things.  Then he wrote the books which were different again.
 Finally Adams himself did the movie.  He wrote the script and even
casted the characters before he died.  The implementation wasn't his and
did leave some things to be desired (two heads in the TV series was way
better!).  I loved the yarn scene.

We're just left with 4 versions now of Adams' wonderfully bizarre wit
and incredible literary imagery (The vogon ships hung in the air much
like bricks don't).  And no wonder since the entire thing was the result
of a horrible hangover and sleeping in a field in Sweden or something!